This is another recipe inspired by Pinterest. Something about seeing a nice picture of something delicious just makes me want to eat it immediately. I’m always up for trying a new pasta dish and this one used alfredo sauce, a sauce that I had never actually made before and it ended up being so easy! I love the combination of the roasted asparagus and mushrooms and the lemon juice cuts the heaviness of the cream very nicely. I ended up making the recipe I found my own by using an alfredo recipe from my Giada cookbook.
Prep the asparagus, mushrooms and garlic and combine them with mustard and olive oil in a bowl until well coated.
Roast the the asparagus and mushrooms on a baking sheet with minced garlic and olive oil.
Bring water to boil and cook the pasta according to the package directions.
Combine the cream and lemon juice in a deep fry pan and add the butter over medium-low heat until melted, remove it from the heat until pasta is ready.
Add the cooked pasta to the cream mixture, pour over another 1/2 cup of cream, salt, pepper and parmesan cheese. Toss well and cook over medium heat until thickened.
Toss in the mushrooms and asparagus into the pasta and serve with extra cheese on top.
The sauce is so creamy yet the lemon juice keeps it light. As person who typically prefers red sauce to white, I was initially skeptical of this dish but in the end it has won me over completely. It’s simple, quick, cheap and delicious!
Here’s the recipe:
- 1 lb. asparagus, tough ends snapped off
- 3-4 cups whole mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 5-6 cloves garlic, minced or pressed
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- ¼ cup strained lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- ¼ teaspoon coarsely ground black pepper
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon Creole or coarse-grain mustard
- 8 ounces uncooked linguine
- 1 recipe Guiltless Alfredo Sauce
- Optional: Grilled chicken breast or sauteed shrimp
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil and set aside.
- In a large bowl, combine trimmed asparagus and sliced mushrooms. Zest the lemons (enough to get 1 tablespoon of zest) and set the zest aside.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt, pepper, and mustard. Drizzle over the veggies and toss to combine. Spread the veggies out onto the prepared baking sheet and roast for 20 minutes or until the asparagus is tender but not mushy. Remove from oven and allow to stand for 5-10 minutes.
- While the veggies are roasting, bring a large pot of salted water to a boil and, when the water is ready, cook pasta al dente. Prepare the Alfredo sauce. After you’ve added the cheese, add the reserved lemon zest to the sauce. When the asparagus and mushrooms are done roasting, you can either portion out the pasta, veggies, and sauce into individual servings or toss it all together. Serves 6-8.